10.1.11

And the Finest Entertainment She Ever Did Know

~ Somewhere on the Fast Lane Between Boston and Portland ~


I'm no longer sure who exactly I'm writing this blog for, besides myself. And that is something I never thought I'd do. Besides my loyal parents and a friend who clicks on the page every once in a while, there's no one out there really tuning in. 

Just the same, my pursuit to work in the agro and farming world, surrounded by the bounties of fresh and Tasty food, has not subsided. Among several hiccups along the way, I've set aside the notion of driving and living across country, and begun preparing myself for the possibility of remaining for some time longer in the North East.  Should the opportunity arrive, I will stay. And the drive continues - to grow some food.

To start, the inclement weather (though predictable) of the Northeast hardly fosters outdoor growing activities. No real surprise there. But I began snooping around volunteer opportunities with local community organizations - those that foster CSA's and/or help promote farmer's markets, among other things.  

Also, I haven't shut up about the potential of winter greenhouses, and ask at every chance I get, if someone knows someone, who knows someone, who ....

Until finally my work has paid off.

One, Cultivating Communities of Portland, ME responded after the holidays had duly passed, offering a range of *stuff* to do as winter work: marketing for their CSA campaign, compost pickups and general photo managing on their websites.

I'll do it.

Plus, I'd love to push CSA's. I convinced my mother of their value, I don't see why I can't convince others, too.

Two, I finally learned of someone who knows someone, who knows someone, who operates winter greenhouses - growing tomatoes and distributing them to jail inmates in order to offer the real taste of real food.

I may not have a paying position, but at least I'm keeping myself occupied.

And if I can't find fresh local food at every moment, I figure cooking breakfast for dinner - oatmeal, please - will have to be the satisfying twist of the day.


Oatmeal, with sesame seeds, some sunflower seeds, too, raisins and dried blueberries, and definitely some New Hampshire maple syrup.

I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (am I alone when she's unfortunately reminiscent of the English Teacher You Hoped to Never Have?). I know her family's strict one-year rules  to eat only local food (grown at their home or by close community farmers) would banish my meal from their oak table.

Mange on. Bon app.

2 comments:

souly nomadic said...

i check your blog!
and fear not, i'm not sure anyone really checks mine except for me!
haha!
and such is life, we should do things for ourselves, not for other people to look at, but because it pleases something inside ourselves! xo

Nxt Bloom said...

Actually, i think subconsciously, you were 'the friend' i was referring to! :)
yes, we do these writings for ourselves. but if i'm honest (!), i do it for others to read, also. c'est vre, c'est vre.