11.1.11

I Don't Eat Meat...?
Unless I Know Where It's Come From...?

~ Boston ~


 I didn't eat meat for a year before I left for Africa. I ate an apple sausage burger one day and got sick. So were dozens of other people across the country. I didn't dive into an investigation. I just called it quits. I was looking for an excuse to cut meet - beef particularly - out of my diet (probably because I thought it was trendy), and I took it.

Then I moved to a place where the lamb or goat in your stew is butchered next door, and raised in the yard out back. I was comfortable with that. I knew exactly where my food was coming from. In fact, I'd likely peddled by the butcher on my bike that very day as he'd prepared the meat.

Now I'm back Here. And it's been far more difficult explaining to people why I'm...selective about what animal I decide to put into my body (I don't pick and choose my fish!! The elimination or weening away from that food source/sushi will come in due time).

"Oh, you're still doing that?" my dad asked quizzically the other night after he'd pulled out pre-pared chicken breasts for dinner, while I passively searched the package label for place of origin/the words' free-range'.

Not too long ago I'd shared a story about eating venison meatloaf. My boyfriend's friend had shot the deer in Maine, where the populations of deer are over abundant, and hunting is an activity of respect by man with animal, for a source of game.

No wonder my poor father was confused.

But hadn't I explained already? Pasture fed, free - range, local, hormone free. Did I need to mention the decentralization of our food economy, too?

Some say I'm nit-picking. But then I find information about other people who are most definitely doing the same thing, and I feel reassured:



http://bostonlocalvores.org/about

And:


Know Your Roots: Eat Local from Scott and Sara on Vimeo.

2 comments:

souly nomadic said...

I really truly recommend reading 'The China Study'
I know you can choose certain meat and feel better about it because of where it came from but in the end our bodies are not made to digest more than 10% of our diet (really 0%) consisting of animal protein.
Anyways, really interesting book about our health, our diet, and society!

Nxt Bloom said...

I'll look into it most definitely. I'd love to read about the other side.


But if meat isn't okay for our bodies, then why does it taste so goooooood? :D